Latest mortgage data from BPFI shows almost €1.3 billion in mortgage approvals in November 2021
12TH January 2022 – Banking & Payments Federation Ireland (BPFI) has today published the latest figures from the BPFI Mortgage Approvals Report for November 2021.
The following are the key figures:
- A total of 4,959 mortgages were approved in November 2021 – some 2,662 were for FTBs (53.7%) of total volume) while mover purchasers accounted for 1,172 (23.6%).
- The number of mortgages approved in November rose by 8.6% month-on-month and fell by 4.6% year-on-year.
- Mortgages approved in November 2021 were valued at €1,283 million – of which FTBs accounted for €690 million (53.8%) and €354 million by mover purchasers (27.6%).
- The value of mortgage approvals rose by 7.9% month-on-month and by 0.2% year-on-year.
- Annualised* mortgage approval activity to end-November 2021 decreased in volume terms by 0.44% compared with the twelve months ending October 2021 and increased in value terms by 0.01% over the same period.
- Re-mortgage or mortgage switching activity rose by 20.8% and 25.8% in volume and value terms, respectively, when compared with November 2020. The volume of approved mortgage switches has more than doubled since November 2017 with 7,243 approvals valued at more than €1.8 billion in the twelve months ending November 2021.
Speaking on the publication of the data, Brian Hayes, Chief Executive, BPFI said: “Our latest mortgage figures show a slowdown in approval volumes on a year-on-year basis but this was the highest approvals values in November since the data series began in 2011. Mortgage approval activity remains close to historically high levels. On an annualised basis, more than 53,000 mortgages worth some €13.4 billion were approved in the twelve months ending November 2021.”
“Looking ahead, the fourth quarter of the year is generally the strongest quarter for mortgage drawdowns and with a strong pipeline of mortgage approvals the outlook is very positive for a strong end to the year.”
All mortgage approvals data from January 2011 onwards is available in Microsoft Excel format (*.xls) in the BPFI Mortgage Approvals report data series. The BPFI Mortgage Approvals report data series since January 2011 is available to download here.
*Annualised figures show the sum of volumes or values in the twelve months ending in that month. Using annualised figures helps us to identify underlying trends.
Note: Banking & Payments Federation Ireland (BPFI) represents the banking, payments and fintech sector in Ireland. Together with its affiliates, the Federation of International Banks in Ireland and the Fintech & Payments Association of Ireland, BPFI has 100 member institutions and associates, including licensed domestic and foreign banks and institutions operating in the financial marketplace here.
Contact: Jillian Heffernan, Head of Communications, email@example.com 087 9016880